Four held in Pastor Koh’s case freed due to lack of evidence

3rd Nov 2017

Investigating officer ASP Supari Mohammad told the Human Rights Commission of Malaysia (Suhakam) inquiry on missing persons that the four people were released on a police bond.

“We had brought them from Kedah to Petaling Jaya to be remanded for 13 days.

“We conducted our investigations, recorded statements from witnesses, and subsequently referred the investigation papers (IPs) to the Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC),” he said.

However, the AGC returned the IPs and classified the case as “no further action” because of insufficient evidence to charge them.

Supari said Selangor Criminal Investigation Department chief SAC Fadzil Ahmat had ordered the four to be released.

Former Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar had said on June 25 that police had found a new lead in Koh’s case after his men shot dead a drug trafficking suspect in Kampung Weng Dalam, Kedah, on June 17.

Police raided the suspect’s house and found photos believed to be of Koh’s house and his car.

Subsequently, four people were arrested.

The Suhakam public inquiry is chaired by commissioner and former judge Mah Weng Kwai, and includes fellow commissioners Prof Dr Aishah Bidin and Dr Nik Salida Suhaila Nik Salleh.

The inquiry will consider, among other things, whether the cases of Koh, activist Amri Che Mat, and Pastor Joshua Hilmy and wife Ruth, were cases of enforced or involuntary disappearance, as defined under the International Convention for the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearance.

Amri, 44, who co-founded charity organisation Perlis Hope, has been missing since Nov 24 last year.

His wife, Norhayati Ariffin, said witnesses saw five vehicles blocking the path of Amri’s car before he was whisked away, just 550 metres from their home in Bukit Chabang, Perlis.

Joshua and his wife, Ruth, meanwhile, were last seen on Nov 30 last year.

A police report was lodged in Klang but the case was referred to Petaling Jaya police as the complainant said the missing persons lived in Kampung Tunku.

The inquiry continues today (Friday).

Meanwhile, ASP Supari said the family of Pastor Koh has not been cooperative with the police.

He claimed he had asked the family about an episode where Koh had gone away somewhere for four days and that that they did not want to cooperate.

“His children and wife just said they didn’t know. His wife screamed at me and asked why I am harping on the conversion aspect.

“To me, it’s not fair because it’s a challenge to look for him,” ASP Supari said.

Koh’s family has claimed that the investigation into his disappearance appeared to concentrate on alleged proselytisation rather than the pastor’s abduction.

ASP Supari added that as an investigator, he would not be satisfied until he knew what happened to Koh.


Article found in link here: